Apply: Complete an application process that includes a principal recommendation.
Attend Training: Attend Foundations in Mentoring for Clinical Faculty Level 1 - five Clinical Faculty modules, one full-day module on a Saturday, followed by four modules after school. The training focuses on the knowledge, skills and understandings to be an effective coach/mentor of pre-service, novice, or veteran teachers.
Coach: Practice using the coaching tools and language with a pre-service, novice, or veteran teacher.
Collect and Reflect: Collect and reflect on data of your coaching practice.
Complete Assessment Process: Submit coaching tools, a video recording of a reflecting conference, and responses to two reflective questions.
VCU Clinical Faculty members are part of a select and highly trained corps of teacher leaders. VCU Clinical Faculty members receive:
- Training and experience to enhance coaching skills
- Verification for recertification points for the training (up to 45 points)
- Priority for intern/student teacher placements as well as other opportunities to work with VCU pre-service teachers
- Opportunities for further professional growth and leadership roles
- Honorarium for hosting an intern/student teacher
- VCU library privileges
- 10% off of purchases at the Barnes & Noble at VCU Bookstore
- Digital badge
Teachers who are distinguished by exemplary practice; accomplished with positive human relations skills; seek professional growth and ways to expand their roles within the classroom and their school; and who want to give back to the profession by contributing to the development of pre-service and novice teachers.
- hold a valid Virginia Collegiate Professional Certificate and Virginia Teaching Endorsement in the area in which they are teaching;
- have a minimum of three years of successful classroom teaching experience;
- have a full-time teaching assignment with Chesterfield County Public Schools, Hanover County Public Schools, Henrico County Public Schools, or Richmond Public Schools;
- have a teaching assignment in one of the following areas:
- Art Education
- Elementary Education
- Middle or High School Education (English, Math, Social Studies, Science)*
- Middle/High School Science (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics)*
- *Teachers at the middle and high school level may teach a maximum of two AP, and/or non-core classes.
- Music Education
- *Music teachers interested in the program should contact Dr. Sandy Goldie, director of music education, VCU Department of Music at email@example.com.
- Special Education (General Curriculum or Early Childhood Special Education); and
- have the approval of the principal to host an intern/student teacher.